We have adopted the name of the renowned North-Bohemian native of Libochovice (1787-1869), the one of the founders of sciences such as biology, embryology, histology, modern pharmacology, comparative anatomy, and anthropology. Besides, Purkyně ranks among the world´s most outstanding physiologists.
Just as well-rounded a personality Purkyně in his time was, we too, in these days, offer a wide variety of study programmes and specialisations (55 programmes and 173 specialisations) focusing on the most varied areas of human activities. Not only because of that are we - with our assorted offer – attractive for the current young people.
We are a state-of-the-art scientific, pedagogic, and cultural & educational center of the Ústí nad Labem region.
We educate a number of students exceeding 10 000 and employ a staff of about 900.
We proudly take credit for the municipality of Ústí nad Labem, and contribute in a significant way to the development of the region.
UJEP University dates back to 1991, and is currently known as the umbrella term for 7 faculties and 1 institute. These are the:
Faculty of Social and Economic Studies
Faculty of Art and Design
Faculty of Production Technology and Management
Faculty of the Environment
Faculty of Philosophy
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Science
Institute of Health Studies
Our history dates back to 1954 when the Higher Teacher Training College was set up – to become the Pedagogical Insititute in 1959, and the Pedagogical Faculty in Ústí nad Labem (1964). Through Act No. 314/1991 Coll., the University of Jan Evangelista Purkyně in Ústí nad Labem was set up and solemnly inaugurated on 28 September 1991, priding itself with three faculties and an Institute. Those were the Faculty of Education, Faculty of Social and Economic Studies, Faculty of the Environment, and the Institute of Slavonic & Germanic Studies.
1993 - The Institute of Art Culture was established as an art school of an art & industrial orientation.
1998 - The Institute of Technology and Production Management was set up as part of UJEP
2000 - The Faculty of Commercial Art and Design was established, being transformed from the then
Institute of Art Culture.
2003 - The Institute of Healthcare Studies, grooming students for their career in cooperation with
higher healthcare school facilities of the Ústí nad Labem region, was founded.
2005 - The Institute of Humanities and Institute of Natural Sciences were established. The Institute of
Natural Sciences was transformed into the Faculty of Science
2006 - The Institute of Humanities was transformed into the Faculty of Philosophy.
The Institute of Technology and Production Management was transformed into the Faculty of
Production Technology and Management.
2008 - The Institute of Slavonic & Germanic Studies became part of the Faculty of Philosophy.
The Faculty of Commercial Art and Design changed its title to become the Faculty of Art and
The development of tertiary education in Ústí nad Labem is tackled in The History of Ústí nad Labem Municipality document, in Chapter Tertiary Schools in Ústí nad Labem.