THE DIPLOMA SUPPLEMENT
Example of filled Diploma Supplement(pdf)
The Diploma Supplement (DS) is issued from the year 2006 at the Jan Evangelista Purkyně University in Ústí nad
Labem (UJEP) according to Act No. 111/1998 on Higher Education Institutions and on Amendments and
Supplements to some other Acts (The Higher Education Act):
• automatically to every student graduating from UJEP along with their original diploma or degree,
• free of charge,
• bilingually, it means in English and in Czech language.
What is its contents:
DS in eight sections contains information identifying the holder of the qualification, information on the level of the
qualification, information on the contents and results gained, information on the function of the qualification,
additional information, certification of the Supplement, information on the national higher education system).
DS is not a substitute for the original qualification or a transcript; automatic system that guarantees recognition.
Format and protective elements:
Format and content of the Diploma Supplement was initiated and developed by UNESCO and revised jointly by
UNESCO working party - the European Commission and the Council of Europe.
At the UJEP the Diploma Supplement is issued as a fold blank form – format A3. The blank form contents a lot of
protective elements, which could prevent its misuse.
Meaning of DS:
The Diploma Supplement is a document attached to a higher education qualification aiming at improving
international transparency and at facilitating the academic and professional recognition of qualifications.
The Diploma Supplement:
- explains the contents of the qualifications delivered by higher education institutions,
- helps to ensure that higher education qualifications are more easily understood, especially outside the country
where they were awarded,
- accommodates rapid changes in qualifications,
- aids mobility, access and lifelong learning,
- promotes fair and informed judgements about qualifications.